Building Ho Train Layouts The Right Way
Building HO Train Layouts can be an enormous enjoyment, and are a great way to develop your Model Train environment. Building great Train Layouts the “right way” is as simple as what your imagination can dream!
If you enjoy a Model Train and like HO Train Layouts and are ready to build your own, then you’ll definitely want to get acquainted with the techniques of making a great design for your Model Train Railroad. There is a skill to this, comprising of both trial and error, and what you can find, buy, and use.
Model Train Railroad – How To Build Train Layouts
Building an enjoyable Model Train Railroad can be simple if you follow this step by step process:
- The very first thing you will want to do is figure out how much space you’re willing to commit to a Model Train. You may have a large room, or a small bookshelf. You will also want to plan some space for a “workshop” of sorts. You may have a nice garage with power tools, but most of us only have a spare room to play in. You will want to consider things like cutting with power tools, construction debris, power for both your Model Train Railroad and accessories. One outlet won’t do!
- The next thing as a Model Train Railroad builder is to choose what style you are creating that might fit in the space you have allocated. You don’t want a massive heavy Model Train delivering to a little town. Make sure your Model Train and Model Train Railroad will match up, or consider creating a fictitious railroad.
- Match the era’s as well. You shouldn’t have an electric Model Train going through an old town that has no electricity, that would completely destroy your illusion of your Train Layouts and landscape design.
- Next, you need to think how you are going to lay the track, where the Train Layouts scenery will be placed, where the towns and people will go. Plan this all on a bit of scrap paper before you start building your Model Train Railroad to save you some time. If you prefer, there are several pretty good computer-based Model Train layout design software available.
- After you have planned your Model Train Railroad, lay some track! Get the train track done (and re-done as needed!) before you add anything else. Add in buildings, scenery, and don’t forget the people.
Here are some more tips for incorporating correct landscape features for your Train Layouts.
HO Train Layouts – Landscape Features
There are many landscape features that you can use when making your Train Layouts design. You’ll definitely want to do this to increase the believability and essence if your whole Model Train Railroad
The main features that you should use are:
1 – Buildings
Buildings add a reality to the Model Train Railroad, especially around stations. Without the use of any buildings you might feel your Model Train is too plain or simple
2 – People
Once you have buildings you can add people. Remember people should only really be put around buildings, stations or other activities on your Train Layouts – don’t leave them out in the middle of nowhere, unless you have / create a story behind the “scene” you see.
3 – Vehicles
You can also add other vehicles like buses, trucks and cars to your Model Train Railroad. It’s cool to put these around buildings and then add people too. This can create a fun atmosphere on your Train Layouts. You can create a blueprint of multiple people and a few vehicles per building and build up a urban area.
4 – Trees
You’ll definitely want a lot of trees all over Model Train Railroad. Trees can practically be put anywhere. You can create small forests or dense areas with trees. Be careful though because too many trees can distract from your Model Train and the track which should always remain the main act. Use trees, buildings, moutains / tunnels or other obstructions to “hide” detail of your Train Layouts that you don’t want seen. Like going into a staging area, changing climates (you can have more than one season on your HO Train Layouts!), or other less interesting features of your Model Train Railroad.
Designing and creating fun and entertaining HO Train Layouts for your Model Train Railroad is a blast for any Model Train hobbyist. Imagine having your very own layout finished, the Model Train running around your Model Train Railroad smoothly and realistically. Think about how great you will feel once you’ve really invested in it.
For more information, you might enjoy reading my Proto200 EMD F3A-B Set Review!